Did you know that AMSA made an amendment to Marine Order 504 in relation to vessels carrying passengers that commenced on the 31 May 2020.
For Class 1 and Class 2 vessels that are permitted to carry passengers you will be required to have an effective and verifiable means of passenger monitoring to ensure the master is able to find out the number of passengers onboard at any time.
Operators will be required to undertake a passenger count at the time of embarkation and disembarking for vessels that are:
- a Class 2 vessel permitted to carry passengers or a Class 1 vessel that is permitted to carry no more than 75 passengers; and
- is on a voyage of at least 30 minutes and no more than 12 hours scheduled duration and the vessel is not scheduled to stop for embarkation or disembarkation in the first 30 minutes; and
- is operating in B, C or D waters at any time of E waters outside of daylight hours.
For operators who transport passengers to a water-based activity the passenger count:
- must include an additional count before the vessel departs from the site; and
- is not required to be conducted when a vessel is stopped for a water-based activity and a passenger enters or leaves:
- the water; or
- another vessel used in conjunction with the activity
This means if you’re operating a ferry service or water taxi which has voyages of less than 30 minutes this amendment does not apply.
For most operators who carry passengers on voyages of 30 minutes or more and less than 12 hours you will need to update your Safety Management System (SMS) to incorporate the changes.
We strongly recommend you review your SMS now and work out what changes are going to be required to ensure you meet the new requirements. Feel free to utilise our free SMS Assessment Service – just email us a copy of your SMS, and our Principal Consultant will review and let you know of any changes may be required.
If you’re having trouble working out what’s required or how to incorporate the changes into your SMS then give us a call and we’ll help get you compliant with the changes.