The simple answer is YES.
We’re lucky that in Australia COVID-19 is not as rampart as it is in most other parts of the world but we all must remain vigilant, especially employers to keep it that way! To do that we all need to follow the legislated guidelines.
Every workplace must have a COVID Safe management plan to help protect its staff, customers and visitors and to prepare for a suspected or confirmed case of coronavirus (COVIID-19) in your workplace.
This plan is your Work Health and Safety plan that all businesses are required to have and maintain. It does not need to be submitted to the Chief Health Officer for approval and should be made available when requested.
This plan must demonstrate how you will meet all requirements set out by the Chief Health Officer. Some higher-risk industries or workplaces have additional obligations for employers and employees.
WorkSafe have specific requirements for employers in relation to COVID-19. Below is an extract from WorkSafe.
- You must take action to protect workers and others at the workplace from the risk of exposure to COVID-19 so far as is reasonably practicable. This includes implementing the public health measures issued by health authorities including Queensland Health and the Australian Government Department of Health.
- It is vital that you consult with and communicate with workers and their health and safety representatives (HSRs) on workplace measures to address COVID-19.
Put in place a plan to respond to COVID-19
- Also put in place any directives issued by Health departments – this should include infection prevention and control policies and procedures, safe systems of work, how workers and their HSRs will be consulted, and how you will monitor and update your plan as public health information changes.
- Consult with workers on the plan and display it clearly in the workplace. Consultation with workers, and, where applicable their representative, is required at each step of the risk management process.
Employers are required to implement measures to keep workers safe and stop the spread of COVID-19 which includes but is not limited to:
- implementing and promoting high order controls to complement hygiene practices (g. social distancing such as work from home where possible, create separate walkways through worksites, limit numbers of people in lunch or crib rooms or install barriers and screens)
- The use of personal protective equipment PPE
The only way to safely and effectively manage your workplace in relation to COVID-19 is to have a COVIDSafe plan in place!
We all have to learn to live COVID-19 now and to be able to manage not only the spread but also the psycho-social risks for workers.
To do this we recommend you have a COVIDSafe plan in place and train and supervise workers on workplace measure to address COVID-19. Shorlink can develop COVIDSafe plans to suit your specific operations and all of our COVIDSafe plans are accepted by Health Departments Australia wide. Contact us today for more details.
When developing your COVIDSafe plan check to see if you come under a COVID Safe Industry Plan as this may save you a lot of work.
Alternatively contact us if you would like more information on COVIDSafe site-specific plans or COVID Safe Event Plans.